Friday, January 25, 2008

International Player's Anthem

It's been a long time since I posted anything here on the Salad. I'm sure some of you have heard about the death of rapper Pimp C, one half of the southern group UGK. As a belated tribute I'm posting the video for their single "International Player's Anthem (I Choose You)". UGK collaborated with Outkast on this track with spectacular results. The song is built around a sample of "I Choose You" by Willie Hutch, a 1970s Motown artist. Starting with a lovestruck verse by Andre 3000, Pimp C and Bun B later present a more cynical spin on love, incorporating Bentleys, hoes, and fairies into their warning. Bun B has perhaps the most memorable line of the song, "Easy as ABC/Simple as 1 2 3/ Get down with UGK/ Pimp C B U N B". Big Boi finishes out the song in his usual low key but brilliant style. The music video is excellent as well, featuring a kilted Andre 3000 and my man T-Pain as the choir director.

No comments: