Saturday, April 5, 2008

Greatest Openers - The Mending of the Gown


Following what many call their "true" debut album Shut Up I Am Dreaming, Sunset Rubdown had a lot to live up to. Hype was building about their follow-up LP. To add to all of this, the band features, perhaps one of the greatest musicians of our time, Spencer Krug, a member of Frog Eyes, Swan Lake, and Wolf Parade. Fans waiting anxiously but cautiously, unsure if Sunset Rubdown would live up to their high expectations. Immediately as the guitar opening begins, all those fears and worries are dispelled. “The Mending of the Gown” gives Random Spirit Lover a rock opening with a Krug twist that’s accessible to first time listeners without alienating the dedicated fan base. By the time Spencer bellows out, “My name and my spirit are both corrupt and if you hold me close, you gotta hold me up,” even the most musically sheltered should be rhythmically nodding along. Personally, this is one of my all-time favorite Spencer Krug songs. With its upbeat riffs and piano, it should easily make your list as well.

The Mending of the Gown - Sunset Rubdown

No comments: